Merton CIL looking for New Trustees to join our Board
This is a great opportunity to join our dynamic user-led Deaf and Disabled people's organisation in Merton and to support our continued growth, strategic direction and governance on the trustee board.
Merton CIL is a disabled people’s user-led organisation. This means that at least 75% of our board are Disabled People. We promote the inclusion, choice, and independence of disabled people in Merton. We were established to provide a voice for disabled people in the borough and to provide support to disabled people in all areas of their lives.
What will you be doing?
You could be part of our great team enabling Deaf and Disabled people to take control over their lives, be independent and challenge discrimination
Key Tasks include:
- To inform and set the strategic direction of MCIL based on lived experience and member and service user feedback
- Attend quarterly board meetings, Annual General Meeting, events and other meetings or committees as required
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed as agreed by directors
- To be responsible for overseeing MCIL’s finances and resources
- To support MCIL with fundraising and engagement
- To ensure risks to MCIL are identified, managed and mitigated
- Keep up to date and complies with regulations and legislation
There is also the opportunity for Trustees to take on a "champion" role in a range of internal and external-facing roles such as user-voice, access, HR, Fundraising, etc.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for someone who can actively contribute their views, brings lived experience to the trustee role, and is able to question and challenge the organisation and always work in the best interests of Merton CIL
- Understand and actively promote the ethos and values of MCIL
- Experience of disability
- Effective Communication Skills
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a board
- Ability to be flexible and responsive to change
- Ability to handle with discretion information which may be confidential or sensitive
In addition we would also value the following skills and experience:
- Legal, HR, IT or Financial backgrounds
- Experience in Mental Health or Learning Disability
- From a BME or other minority background
- Relevant life experience, degree level qualification or equivalent level professional experience
What difference will you make?
Merton CIL has grown fast, and last year we delivered over 1500 sessions of 1:1 support to local disabled people. We provide a range of services including accredited advice & advocacy support, hate crime prevention, and policy work. Our trustees have worked hard on our governance and co-producing our strategic direction with members and local disabled people. We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated people to join us on that journey and make the organisation even stronger. You can find out more about us in this short film celebrating our 10th Anniversary in 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecTQIfU4Doo
What's in it for you?
You could be part of our great team enabling Deaf and Disabled people to take control over their lives, be independent and challenge discrimination. We are really proud of the work that we do, and you would find our board to be welcoming and open, and willing to learn and improve.
How to apply
Contact our CEO Lyla on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0744 936 2233 for an initial chat and for an opportunity to ask questions.
You can read the trustee role description here - Trustee Role Description